Learn more about the Coronavirus (Covid-19) More Info
“Private investigative agency” means any person who engages in the business or accepts employment to obtain or furnish information or to conduct investigations with reference to:
• Crime or civil wrongs;
• The identity, habits, conduct, business, occupation, honesty, integrity, credibility, knowledge, trustworthiness, efficiency, loyalty, activity, movement, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation or character of any person;
• The location, disposition or recovery of lost or stolen property;
• The cause or responsibility for fires, libels, losses, accidents, damages or injuries to persons or to property;
• The securing of evidence to be used before any court, board, officer, or investigating committee.
The Board of Examiners of Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies, the regulatory body for this industry, meets on a quarterly basis. New licensure and renewals with changes of an agency must be approved by the Board of Examiners.
What are the legal requirements to become a Private Investigator in Delaware?
1. Be at least 21 years of age upon application.
2. No conviction of any felony or other disqualifying crime – see the links below
3. Must be employed by a licensed Private Security Agency upon making application and while licensed.
All legal requirements and regulations…
What is the process to obtain or renew a Private Investigator License in Delaware?
1. Individuals must appear in-person at either State Bureau of Identification location. Dover is a walk-in facility and Troop 2 is by appointment only (see below). On the day of application, the individual will come into one of two (2) State Bureau of Identification locations (DSP Troop 2/Newark or Dover) for fingerprint and picture processing. Address locations are listed below.
State Bureau of Identification
600 S. Bay Road
Dover, DE 19901
Delaware State Police Troop 2 – by appointment only (302) 739-2528
100 Cpl/1 Stephen J. Ballard Way
Newark, DE 19702
(front lobby to the left)
2. Individuals must complete an employee application – see the link below. Applications are also available at both State Bureau of Identification (SBI) locations (DSP Troop2/Newark or Dover SBI office).
3. At the time of their appointment at State Bureau of Identification, individuals will be fingerprinted and photographed. Individuals coming to an appointment should bring two (2) specific items:
• Photo Identification (Driver License or State Identification)
• $85.00 fee
4. Upon approval and submission License Identification cards will be mailed to the address listed on the individual’s application. If requested, the individual may return to the Dover State Bureau of Identification office location only to retrieve their License Identification card in person. Private Investigator Licenses (new or renewed) are valid for five (5) years.
What is the cost for to obtain or renew a Private Investigator license?
State Bureau of Identification (SBI) accepts cash, certified check, Visa, Master Card, Discover, company check, or money order. SBI cannot accept personal checks or American Express.
How can a Lost or Stolen Private Investigator License be replaced?
Come into one of two (2) State Bureau of Identification locations (DSP Troop 2/Newark or Dover State Bureau of Identification office) and request a replacement. No appointment is necessary. Valid License holders fill out the application for replacement (see the link below) or complete one on site. A license must be valid to be replaced. The replacement fee is $10.00. License Identification cards will be printed on site.
Agency License – NEW
To begin the new licensure process, see procedures link below and follow the check list that applies to your agency.
Agency License – RENEWAL
Renewal procedures will be sent in a notification letter to the agency with the renewal instructions.