“Private investigative agency” means any person who engages in the business or accepts employment to obtain or furnish information or to conduct investigations with reference to:
• Crime or civil wrongs;
• The identity, habits, conduct, business, occupation, honesty, integrity, credibility, knowledge, trustworthiness, efficiency, loyalty, activity, movement, whereabouts, affiliations, associations, transactions, acts, reputation or character of any person;
• The location, disposition or recovery of lost or stolen property;
• The cause or responsibility for fires, libels, losses, accidents, damages or injuries to persons or to property;
• The securing of evidence to be used before any court, board, officer, or investigating committee.
What are the legal requirements to become a Private Investigator in Delaware?
1. Be at least 21 years of age upon application.
2. No conviction of any felony or other disqualifying crime – see the links below
3. Must be employed by a licensed Private Security Agency upon making application and while licensed.
All legal requirements and regulations…
What is the process to obtain or renew a Private Investigator License in Delaware?
STEP #1 – Fingerprints/Photo ID – Background
Individuals must schedule a fingerprint/Photo ID appointment with IdentoGO – using the link below, then present themselves in-person at the appointment location selected. Once fingerprints are obtained IdentoGO will then forward all relevant background information to Delaware State Police/Professional Licensing for review.
Use Service Code 27RVQ3
STEP #2 – Email Application documents to Professional Licensing
Once the IdentoGO appointment is completed, individuals must email the information outlined below to Delaware State Police/Professional Licensing using this email address –
Individuals applying for a Private Investigator ID Card/License
Private Investigator Application – Individuals must be employed with a Class B or C Agency Licensed in Delaware.
When emailing please use the following subject line: last name, first name-Private Investigator Application (for example – smith, john-Private Investigator Application)
STEP #3 – Approval / Denial
When Professional Licensing has received IdentoGO results and processed all information requested in Step #4 the application will be approved or denied.
Applications are processed once all required information has been received and processed by Professional Licensing. The individual may be requested to provide additional information including court documents, adjudication documents, and other details related to their background investigation. Such requests will cause a delay in the normal approval process.
Private Investigator Identification Cards/Licenses are valid for five (5) years.
Please NOTE – Agency Applications (New & Renewal) are presented to the Board of Examiners for Approval. Sufficient processing time before each quarterly Board Meeting will be necessary. Board Meeting dates are subject to change.
If you are a New Security/Private Investigator Agency who is initially applying or renewing, please contact Professional Licensing for submission deadlines at 302-739-5911 or email@example.com
Agency License – NEW
To begin the new licensure process, see procedures link below and follow the check list that applies to your agency.
Agency License – RENEWAL
Renewal procedures will be sent in a notification letter to the agency with the renewal instructions.
The Board of Examiners of Private Investigators and Private Security Agencies, the regulatory body for this industry, meets on a quarterly basis. New licensure and renewals with changes of an agency must be approved by the Board of Examiners.