In 1998, the Delaware State Police Cadet Program was authorized under the enabling legislation of House Bill # 478, which passed both houses during the 139th Session of the General Assembly.
We are now accepting applications for the position of Cadet.
For more information or questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 302-739-5980.
- Age – Must be between the ages of 18 to 21 to apply and enter the Cadet Program.
- Residency – Must be a citizen of the United States and a Delaware Resident.
- Education – Must be enrolled in a Delaware accredited university or college in an undergraduate program (full-time or part-time).
- Driver’s License – Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Applicants interested in the Cadet Program must have a sincere interest in the position and a continuing interest in the law enforcement profession. Cadets may remain employed with the Division as a Cadet while actively pursuing an undergraduate degree, either full or part-time, up until their 24th birthday.
Applicants will be required to undergo the successful completion of:
- Physical Fitness Test
- Oral Board Interview
- Polygraph Examination
- Background Investigation
- Medical Testing*
*Following an offer of employment, the selected applicants will be examined by the Division’s health providers for compliance with Hearing, Vision, and Weight requirements, and will be given a complete medical examination to determine if the applicant is able to perform essential job functions.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The primary function of the Cadet Program, under enabling legislation of House Bill 478, is:
- Enforcement of Handicapped Parking under Title 21, Chapter 41, Section 4183.
- Enforcement of Fire Lane Parking under Title 21, Chapter 70, Section 7004.
- Assisting with targeted enforcement efforts (i.e., red light enforcement)
- Assisting with traffic control at Division-sponsored events. (i.e., Delaware State Police graduations, promotional ceremonies, etc.)
- Assignment of various administrative tasks at troop/section level.
Delaware State Police Cadets are NOT Troopers and are limited in the scope of enforcement as listed above. Cadets are considered to be casual seasonal employees of the Division and thus are not entitled to benefits. Cadets will receive forty (40) hours of training at the Delaware State Police Training Academy prior to being assigned to a Troop.
The Delaware State Police is an equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.