Armed Guard applicants should also consult the Unarmed FAQ Section in additional to this Armed Section.
Consult this question under the Unarmed FAQ for initial disqualifiers. Firearms Guards are reminded, The Gun Control Act (GCA), codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), makes it unlawful for certain categories of persons to ship, transport, receive, or possess firearms or ammunition, to include any person:
• Convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding one year;
• Who is a fugitive from justice;
• Who is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act, codified at 21 U.S.C. § 802);
• Who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to any mental institution;
• Who is an illegal alien;
• Who has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
• Who has renounced his or her United States citizenship;
• Who is subject to a court order restraining the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of the intimate partner;
• who has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence.
• Are not permitted to carry a concealed deadly weapon unless they have been issued a concealed deadly weapons permit. Your Security Firearms/Red Card is not a concealed carry permit.
• Are only permitted to carry their firearm in the performance of duties as a security officer or traveling directly to or from a place of assignment.
• Must wear firearms in plain view.
• Must wear a distinctive uniform indicating they are a security guard. The uniform must display a distinctive company patch.
• Are not permitted to carry any type of weapon not approved by the Board and trained by a board-approved instructor.
To review Delaware Code…
• Shoot a minimum of three (3) qualifying shoots per calendar year, scheduled on at least two separate days, with a minimum 90 days between scheduled day shoots. Of these three (3), there will be one mandatory “low light” shoot which may be combined with a day shoot. Two (2) day shoots shall not be completed on the same date.
• These qualifying shoots will be administered by an approved firearms instructor. Firearm/Red Cards expire every year on December 31st, Firearm Guards must have all annual training requirements (shoots) completed prior to October 1st and submitted to Professional Licensing no later than December 31st.