Delaware State Police Arrest Milford Man Following Incident With Troopers- Frederica
Frederica- Delaware State Police arrested 40-year-old Walter A. Cotier III of Milford on criminal and drug charges after an incident with troopers on Monday afternoon.
On January 5, 2021, at approximately 2:00 p.m., troopers on patrol in the area of Frederica Road and Waterway Road observed Walter A. Cotier III walking. The troopers were familiar with Cotier and knew he had several active felony warrants for his arrest. Upon Cotier observing the troopers, he began to flee on foot. The troopers gave chase to Cotier while telling him to stop. He ignored the verbal commands and attempted to flee. After a foot pursuit, Cotier turned and stood in an offensive fighting stance before becoming involved in a physical altercation with the troopers. Cotier resisted arrest and failed to obey the troopers’ commands. Once taken into custody, he was found to be in possession of the following:
- Approximately 6.04 grams of Meth
- Approximately 6.85 grams of Marijuana
- Approximately 0.07 grams of Heroin
- Drug paraphernalia
During the incident, a trooper assigned to the Delaware State Police Governor’s Task Force sustained a serious injury and was transported to an area hospital for treatment.
Cotier was transported to Delaware State Police Troop 3, where he was charged with the following crimes:
- Assault 1st Degree Intentionally Cause Injury to Law Enforcement Officer (Felony)
- Possession With Intent to Deliver a Controlled Substance (Felony)
- Possession of a Controlled Substance (Felony)
- Resisting Arrest With Force (Felony)
- Possession of a Controlled Substance (2 counts)
- Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
- Possession of Marijuana (Civil Violation)
Cotier was arraigned in the Justice of the Peace Court #2 and committed to Sussex Correctional Institution on a $75,000 cash bond.
You can follow the Delaware State Police by clicking on:
Please tell us how we’re doing via our Citizen Satisfaction Survey.
Presented by Public Information Officer, Master Corporal Heather Pepper
Released: 010621 1731