Sergeant Jeffrey A. Giles
The Delaware State Police Scuba Unit currently consists of fourteen members. After two members resigned from the team, the unit added Tpr. Michael Lipp and Tfc. Kevin Macauley.
There were ten callouts in 2015, these activations included:
• Assist DSP Homicide in an attempt to locate a victim in Garrisons Lake.
• Assist Dover P.D. in Wyoming Mill Pond for a gun involved in a homicide.
• Assist DSP Homicide in another attempt to locate the victim of a homicide in Lake Como.
• Assist Dover P.D. in locating evidence to a homicide in a pond off Walker Road. A cell phone was recovered.
• Assist Newport P.D. with an attempt to locate a safe in the Christiana River.
• Recovery of a 9mm Lugar handgun in the White Clay Creek for DSP Homicide Unit.
• Assist NCCPD for possible evidence involved in a homicide in a pond off Brackenville Rd.
The Scuba Team provided assistance and or demonstrations for the following groups. Citizen’s Police Academy, Trooper Youth Week, DSP Recruit classes, DSP Museum, Troop 2 movie night out, University of Delaware, Ocean Gate Corp, Milford Middle School, Seaford Night out celebration, Green wing Youth Day and the Polar Bear Plunge.
The Scuba Team attended four separate out of State Training Opportunities.
• Jan. 10-13: Three members attended the NYSP Academy in Albany to assist, monitor and learn their three-day tryout procedure for Scuba members. New water confidence tests were monitored and evaluated.
• Mar. 3-6: Four members attended the NYSP Ice Diving Training at Lake George in NY.
• July 13-16: Three members attended KMDSI Maintenance and repair Technician Course at the Divelab Systems, Panama City, Florida.
• Sept. 20-25: Six members attended dive training with NYPD (135 qualification dive and rapid water rescue). Alexandra Bay, New York.
Other noteworthy dives/assists:
DSP Scuba provided water safety for the DSP SORT Team and NCCPD SWAT Team. Located a large concrete anchor block and attached a channel marker for the Wilmington Tug company. The team completed a hull survey for the Delaware River and Bay Cooperative. Certified three members as repair technicians and secured an equipment repair room at Troop 2 for Scuba equipment maintenance.
- Information obtained from 2015 DSP Annual Report -