PROFESSIONAL LICENSING - PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR & PRIVATE SECURITY EMPLOYEES
For all fingerprinting processing and licensure, the hours of operation are:
Hours of operation are:
- Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
- No appointments are necessary as we are a walk in facility
- Call 302-739-5871 for information and directions
Hours of operation are:
- Mon, Wed, Thurs, and Fri, 8:30 am to 3:15 pm, closed for lunch from 12 to 12:30
- Tuesday, 11:30 am to 6:15 pm, closed for lunch from 4:00 to 4:30
- By appointment only - Call 302-739-2528 to schedule an appointment.
- Call 302-834-2628 for information and directions.
The process for licensure of Security Guards & Private Investigators is as follows:
- Must complete the employee application that can be obtained at the link below. Any application not filled out completely will be denied.
- Certificates of training, exam and other training must be submitted with application.
- Must pay a non-refundable processing fee of $89.00, via cash, certified check, Visa, Master Card, Discover, company check, or money order. Upon approval; ID cards will be mailed to the applicant’s home address. Please make sure your mailing address is correctly entered at time of payment. Applicants denied for an ID card will be sent a certified letter stating the reason for denial.
- View and read the link below regarding Laws & Rules & Regs for private investigators & private security.
Criteria for licensure:
- Private Investigators must be hired by a licensed agency before appearing at DSP for processing.
- Must be at least 18 years of age, 21 for firearms guard and private investigator.
- Must not have been convicted of any Felony; and/or misdemeanor involving the act of theft, drug offenses, or moral turpitude.
- Must not have been convicted of Assault III within the last three years.
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications set and approved by the Board of Examiners.
- Private Security Guards must have completed the mandatory sixteen hours of security guard training and 16 hour exam and pass with a minimum of 75% prior to appearing at DSP for processing. For a list of instructors, please view the link below of approved instructors. For a list of exam dates, times, and location please see DTCC Flier.
- Firearms qualifications must be met through an approved instructor. For a list of instructors, please view the link below of Approved Instructors.