For all fingerprinting processing and licensure, the hours of operation are:
- Monday through Friday, 8:30 am to 3:30 pm
- No appointments are necessary as we are a walk in facility
- Call 302-739-5871 for information and directions
New Castle County
- Mon, Wed, Thurs, and Fri, 8:30 am to 3:15 pm, closed for lunch from 12 to 12:30
- Tuesday, 11:30 am to 6:15 pm, closed for lunch from 4:00 to 4:30
- By appointment only - Call 302-739-2528 to schedule an appointment.
1. Private Investigative & Private Security Employees
The process for licensure of Security Guards & Private Investigators is as follows:
- The order that you complete each step is entirely up to you and/or your employer. You may either take the class, test and then submit your application to Professional Licensing Section OR you may submit your application to Professional Licensing Section then take the class and the test. The class and test certificates must be submitted to Professional Licensing within 30 days of the application date or you will need to start the entire process over. This is an SBI policy that fingerprints are valid for only 30 days.
- Taking the 16 hour mandatory class is part of the process to become licensed as a security guard. The disqualifying charges will be described in the Law and Rules & Regulations section. If you have any of these charges on your record (Delaware or any other State) and they have NOT been dismissed/found not guilty/nolle prossequi – any pending or guilty convictions will stop you from obtaining your security guard ID card. This information can be found at the Law and Rules & Regs links below.
- Contact one of the Del Tech campuses to schedule a date/time to take the mandatory test. Complete this class and obtain the signed training certification from your instructor – this is your entrance to the test. You MUST complete the class before taking the test. Del Tech information can be found at links below.
- Upon completion and passing the test, DTCC will give you a certificate.
- Download the security guard application from the link below complete. Determine which location you wish to go for fingerprinting, Troop 2 by appointment only and Dover is a walk-in basis.
- Once you submit your application, have your fingerprints/ photo taken and pay the processing fee, it will take a minimum 2 weeks for your criminal history to be completed, however it may take longer due to individual factors. Please do not call before 2 weeks to check on the status of your application.
- Must pay a non-refundable processing fee of $85.00, via cash, certified check, Visa, Master Card, Discover, company check, or money order.
- Once approved your ID card will be mailed to the address that is on the application. It is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT that you put the complete and correct address, to include apartment number, etc.
- If you are denied, a certified notification will be sent to the address on the application and a copy will go to the agency to which you are applying.
- Applicants re-applying for their license should start this process more than one month before their current valid ID card expires.
Criteria for licensure:
- Private Investigators must be hired by a licensed agency before appearing at DSP for processing.
- Must be at least 18 years of age, 21 for firearms guard and private investigator.
- Must not have been convicted of any Felony; and/or misdemeanor involving the act of theft, drug offenses, or moral turpitude.
- Must not have been convicted of Assault III within the last three years.
- Must meet and maintain the qualifications set and approved by the Board of Examiners.
- Private Security Guards must have completed the mandatory sixteen hours of security guard training and 16 hour exam and pass with a minimum of 75% prior to appearing at DSP for processing. For a list of instructors, please view the link below of approved instructors. For a list of exam dates, times, and location please see DTCC Flier.
- Firearms qualifications must be met through an approved instructor. For a list of instructors, please view the link below of Approved Instructors.