In 1998, the Delaware State Police Cadet Program was authorized under the enabling legislation of House Bill # 478, which passed both houses during the 139th Session of the General Assembly.
We are NOT accepting applications for the position of Cadet at this time. For more information or questions, email email@example.com or call 302-739-5980.
- Education- Candidates must be currently enrolled in a Delaware college or university (full-time or part-time).
- Age- Candidates must be between the ages of 18-21.
- Citizenship- Candidates must be a citizen of the United States.
- Driver's License- Candidates must possess a valid driver's license.
- A formal State of Delaware application.
- A Physical Fitness Test.
- An Oral Board Interview.
- A Background Check.
- A Polygraph.
Those candidates who demonstrate a degree of professionalism, skill, and character are representative of the qualities valued by the department and its members. Cadets receive their training at the Delaware State Police Training Academy, which includes 36 hours of classroom and practical training. Once hired and trained, the cadets are considered part-time seasonal employees and work between 10-15 hours per week while completing their college degrees.
HB 478 authorizes cadets to enforce handicapped parking and fire lane violations while allowing troopers to enforce other criminal and traffic laws as well as engage in a myriad of community initiatives.
The Delaware State Police is an equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.