DELAWARE STATE POLICE COMMUNICATIONS SECTION
Manager Joseph E. Mulford
The Communications Section consists of three 9-1-1 Public Safety Answering Points (PSAPs) and the Headquarters Communications Center. The section is staffed by ninety-six employees and is responsible for:
• Answering 9-1-1 emergency lines and dispatching law enforcement personnel and equipment
• NCIC & NLETS control, alarm monitoring and alerting on-call teams
• Telecommunications administration including statewide radio, telephone, cellular and pager systems
• Mobile command center operations
The statistical breakdown of the Section’s activities for 2012:
• Total Incidents Dispatched 79,482
• Total Incidents Handled Without Dispatch 60,607
• Total Incidents Handled 140,089
• Total 9-1-1 Calls Received 365,919
• Total Admin Calls 96,252
• Total Incidents Dispatched 64,954
• Total Incidents Handled Without Dispatch 22,334
• Total Incidents Handled 87,288
• Total 9-1-1 Calls Received 94,831
• Total DSP Admin Calls 106,864
• Total Incidents Dispatched 94,952
• Total Incidents Handled Without Dispatch 28,467
• Total Incidents Handled 129,419
• Total 9-1-1 Calls Received 107,388
• Total Admin Calls 144,315
Training is paramount for the Communications Section. The basic training program was conducted with our new hires, supervisor and leadership training summits were held and in-service training was conducted.
In order to ensure that our employees have proper documentation to guide them, a multitude of standard operating procedures were modified and new procedures added during 2012.
The Communications Section continued its enhanced community outreach program by hosting an annual open house at SUSCOM in the spring of 2012. This event is a very a successful one which is attended by local area school children who were treated to tours of the communications center, public safety displays and food.
During 2012 the following Section employees were honored by the Association of Public Safety Communications Officials International (APCO) during National Public Safety Telecommunications Week in April:
Team Award - RECOM
(Runner Up recipients; Edie Roberts, Nevin Steffy, Tim Akers and Amy Iannucci)
The Communications Section continues to perform mission critical operations while striving to provide excellent customer service. Our telecommunicators make life and death decisions each day and are truly the first-of-the-first responders.
- Information obtained from 2012 DSP Annual Report -